SOC Analyst I | Fredericton NB
This position manages and monitors events from internal security devices, and authentication services associated with the organization’s security controls. The ideal candidate will possess strong technical analytical skills while providing accurate analysis of security-related problems. They have a well–rounded networking background and are responsible for performing extensive troubleshooting of issues in the SOC. The individual is user focused and works to resolve user needs in a timely manner. These needs involve resolving hardware/software failures, investigating and responding to security threats, and making change requests to the security policy of devices.
- Provide technical support in a 24/7 environment, days, evenings, holidays and weekends.
- Handling events such as identify user security issues, extensive troubleshooting, and coordinating resolution or restore using a variety of applications and testing tools. The events can include hardware/software failures as well as security breaches, threats, or network connectivity issues. Regularly provide high-level proactive technical support, including security configurations, security policy modification recommendation, and diagnostics of remote network issues.
- Professionally and courteously answer inbound security-related calls and provide customers with the best possible customer service and experience, create tickets, fill out necessary checklist paperwork, generate trouble tickets for all work and informational requests, handle security-related user complaints, and escalate according to established procedures.
- Ensure implementation of best practice security policies that address business needs while protecting vital corporate assets.
- The individual must be able to perform with minimal supervision of routine duties; must demonstrate ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists; interpret instructions provided in written, oral, diagram, or schedule formats; and can handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
Primary duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Perform the detailed and repeatable execution of all operational tasks as documented in SOC processes and subordinate procedures.
- Monitor the SOC main event tools for security events.
- Close or escalate security events as necessary.
- Update all relevant documentation such as shift logs and tickets, procedures.
- Identify impact of incidents on systems, and using available tools determine if data was infiltrated.
- Document and maintain a knowledge base of alarms (false positives and false negatives, blacklists, whitelists) that IDS and IPS encounter.
- Serve as work area experts for security/information assurance policy recommendations.
- Gather intelligence from sources outside the SOC (both internal and external sources) and leverage for operations.
- Escalate incidents to applicable Bulletproof entities and or Bulletproof Customers for remediation.
- Build relationships with other Bulletproof operations units to strengthen customer security posture.
- Ensure security events and incidents are detected and escalated in a timely manner.
- Provide analysis and investigation to determine if alerts or security events warrant incident classification.
- Track incidents through to final resolution.
- Perform incident triage to include determining scope, urgency, and potential impact.
- Drive the Information Fusion Procedure where various data inputs are gathered, analyzed and presented in a meaningful, actionable manner.
- Responsible for long term analysis and investigation into our customer’s network activity, and the creation of custom logic to detect unique or previously undetectable attacks on our customer information assets.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience relevant to network security with relevant industry certifications.
- 1-2 years of related experience in a Network support and or Network operations role; or any combination of education and experience, which would provide an equivalent background.
- Background in networking or security to include intrusion detection/prevention.
- Excellent written, verbal communication and organizational skills.
- Knowledge and experience with PC’s, LAN topologies, routers, hubs, switches, and terminal servers.
- Knowledge of security applications such as IDS, IPS, SEM, SIEM and anomaly detection tools.
- Knowledge of trouble ticketing systems or CRM systems.
- Understanding of the operation of test and analysis equipment such as protocol analyzers, LAN/WAN Sniffers, etc.
- Ability to read and interpret network diagrams.
- Ability to read and understand packet captures.
- Basic understanding of the OSI model
- Strong interpersonal and user service skills.
- Knowledge of Unix and Windows operating Systems.
- Experience with processes in functional area (i.e., trouble management, fault management, and incident management).
- Understanding of network management concepts and software, including SNMP
Preferred but not required:
- Security +, SSCP and other technical security certifications (e.g. Information Systems Security Architecture Professional, Information Security Engineering Professional, Certification and Accreditation Professional, or equivalent certifications)
Sound like a fit for you?